Skip to Main Content

Cornell Library at Vermont Law & Graduate School

Online Students Library Guide

Information about VLGS's Cornell Library and the services and resources we offer to our online students

Requesting Items from the Cornell Library's Collection

ILL for circulating materials and document delivery are services we offer our non-residential online students who need something from our print collection because it is not available in an online format.

Items that can be sent electronically

Subject to copyright law, we will scan and email you any items you need from our print collection. This means we can send you

  • an article from a journal;
  • a chapter or passage of a book, subject to a thirty-page limit; and
  • other works of a manageable size that are out of copyright, such as U.S. government publications.

Submit your document delivery request by email to with the specifics of what you need (title, author, volume, pages, etc.).

Please note that non-circulating and reserve materials cannot be physically shipped, so please use this procedure to request chapters or articles from those materials. 

Items that have to be physically shipped

If we cannot send you part of a circulating book electronically, or if you need the entire book, we can mail the book to you through the U.S. Postal Service (with a pre-paid return label).

To request an entire physical book from the library's collection, please see the ILL page on our website.

Requesting Items Not Owned by the Cornell Library

Items that can be sent electronically

Non-residential online students can use the ILL system to request items from other libraries that can be sent electronically, such as articles and book chapters. To do so, see the ILL page on our website.

Items that have to be physically shipped

If you need an item that is not part of our library's collection and which would violate copyright law to scan (an entire book, for example), you will need to use the ILL services of a library near you to request it. Most public libraries in the United States offer some form of ILL services to their patrons; check with your local library to see if there are request limits or fees.

Library Homepage